Re: Trouble running rdiff-backup after Windows updates

From: Michael Crider - HOEC
Subject: Re: Trouble running rdiff-backup after Windows updates
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 10:10:57 -0500

I sent this privately to Eric by mistake, now replying on list.

Hi Eric,

Answers inline below.

On 11/1/21 1:22 PM, Eric L. Zolf wrote:
Hi Michael,

it's difficult to tell without a more concrete error message. Running
the command in debug mode (-v 9) might help to understand where the
script hangs.
Running the command with -v 9 didn't change anything. The program still crashes after making an ssh connection to the backup server with no visual output, but doesn't return to the command prompt.
What happens if you call `ssh ${BACKUP_USER}@${TARGETHOST}
rdiff-backup.bat ${BACKUPTO}` like the cron job?
Same effect.
  Or even something like
`ssh ${BACKUP_USER}@${TARGETHOST} C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\ssh.exe
root@datasrv2.intra.hoec rdiff-backup --server`
This runs successfully, starting "rdiff-backup --server" on the backup server and closing when I kill the process on the backup server.
But as you said that the issue appeared after an update of Windows, I
can currently only imagine that something changed with SSH. I would look
if perhaps something changed in the SSHD _and_ SSH configuration files
between 1909 and 21H1, something which makes a difference between
connecting interactively or not.
Unfortunately we have already upgraded all our Windows computers to 21H1, so I don't have configuration files from 1909 to compare. For now I have worked around the problem by writing an expect script, run from the cron job on the backup server, that spawns an ssh connection and executes the batch file. This completes and exits successfully.