Re: We need more Pull Requests reviewer

From: Eric L. Zolf
Subject: Re: We need more Pull Requests reviewer
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 08:04:39 +0200

Hi,

On 17/08/2020 20:02, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 17, 2020 01:43:51 PM Patrik Dufresne wrote:
>>> as the subject says, pull requests can stay for days without review, and
>>> I really don't like merging my own PRs without someone having looked
>>> over it.
>>>
>>> Reviewing documentation doesn't require any specific knowledge even if
>>> being a native English speaker might be an advantage :-) Just tell the
>>> author if you understand what he wrote, and if the language is correct.
>
> I might take a stab at reviewing some of the documentation if you tell me
> where to find it, and some specifics on which parts need review.

There is no documentation PR left to review right now, but my request
was more to have a look from time to time at the pull requests
available, and give your feedback if nobody has done yet.

In short:

1. check opened PRs at
https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pulls from time to time
2. ignore the ones which are failed (red cross), on-going (orange dot),
WIP (work in progress) or draft
3. you can either check the "files changed" (last tab to the right),
this is generally the easiest, or if you want to see the changes in full
context, you can click on the (dark blue on light blue) branch _from_
which the PR commits are coming (just below the title of the PR).
4. in the "files changed" view, you can then add comments to each line,
clicking on the line's number, start a review.
5. once you're finished, under "review changes" (top right), submit your
review, approving or requesting changes.
6. the author will then react (it doesn't mean they will accept all
change requests, but they should address them all), you might need to
agree or argue, a discussion can take place. At the end the author is
responsible for their PR so their opinion is prevalent; in doubt, I
decide (always with arguments though [1]).

That's it.

Thanks, Eric

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictator_for_life - without
the "for life" though :-) I quote: « [Eric S.] Raymond elaborates on how
the nature of open source forces the "dictatorship" to keep itself
benevolent, since a strong disagreement can lead to the forking of the
project under the rule of new leaders »