Re: Reverting backup location to a previous state

From: Daryl Richards
Subject: Re: Reverting backup location to a previous state
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 20:23:49 -0400

On 2020-07-25 12:24 p.m., rainbowx--- via Any discussion of rdiff-backup wrote:
Hello,

I upgraded my rdiff-backup from version 1.2.8 to version 2.0.0 (the latest that was
installed on Ubuntu 20.04 when just doing "apt install rdiff-backup") and ran a
backup to my usual backup location.

Unfortunately my exclude file has Windows (CRLF) line endings and I was struck
by this bug: https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/357

As a result, about 100GB of data was not excluded, and my backup location grew
from 25GB to 125GB.

So now what I would like to do is revert my backup location to an earlier state. Note
that I don't mean restore a previous version of my backup, but rather "undo" my
last backup.

It would seem to me since rdiff-backup keeps all the metadata, it should be
possible in some way. But I'm unable to find any documentation about it and a
web search also hasn't yielded what I'm looking for yet either...

Any help would be appreciated! Using the delete script to delete all the
directories that should have been excluded would take me a very long time.

I have successfully used the script here in the past: https://www.timedicer.co.uk/programs/help/rdiff-backup-regress.sh.php

--
Daryl Richards
Isle Technical Services Inc.