Re: Backward compatibility of next beta

From: Frank Crawford
Subject: Re: Backward compatibility of next beta
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 23:07:11 +1100

Derek,

On Tue, 2020-02-04 at 12:56 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Crawford <
> address@hidden
> > writes:

> According to the docs I just found on class pickle.Pickler[0], there
> is
> a fix_imports and Protocol version number in there that lets you set
> the
> compatibility level:
>
>     The optional protocol argument, an integer, tells the pickler to
> use
>     the given protocol; supported protocols are 0 to
>     HIGHEST_PROTOCOL. If not specified, the default is
>     DEFAULT_PROTOCOL. If a negative number is specified,
>     HIGHEST_PROTOCOL is selected.
>
>     If fix_imports is true and protocol is less than 3, pickle will
> try
>     to map the new Python 3 names to the old module names used in
> Python
>     2, so that the pickle data stream is readable with Python 2.
>
> SO..  It SHOULD be possible to create a pickle in Py3 that is
> readable
> by Py2.  Have we tried this?

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't work the way it reads.  It maps some
pickle built-in name to new versions of those names, but doesn't
address the translation of ascii to unicode and visa-versa (except for
those specific instances).

I did try this.

Certainly, if you could get the translation to work, you would need to
use protocol version and that is a general thing that should be looked
at in the future, but as a performance issue, not a conversion option.