Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bump major release version for rdiff-backup?

From: Joe Steele
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Bump major release version for rdiff-backup?
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 14:09:36 -0400

On 8/2/2019 6:13 AM, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
Hello!

With the adoption of librsync2 the old MD4 hash is no longer supported
and thus a non-backwards compatible change is introduced. All backups
must therefore start from "scratch".
See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776246

Please clarify. I find nothing in your citation that supports your statements.

I find no changes in librsync2 that affect backward compatibility versus, say, librsync1:

https://librsync.github.io/md_NEWS.html

From what I see, the old MD4 hashes are still supported in librysnc2 (although deprecated for security reasons):

https://librsync.github.io/librsync_8h.html#ab6abafd1db0a3947bb3c076507f4f7c2

Patches have been around for several years allowing rdiff-backup to use librsync1:

https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/issues/2

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rdiff-backup/raw/HEAD/f/rdiff-backup-1.2.8-librsync-1.0.0.patch

Per the above patch, rdiff-backup continues to use the old MD4 hashes with librsync1. But my understanding is that the MD4 hash is only used to compare files over the network between 2 instances of rdiff-backup (client and server). The hashes are not incorporated into the .diff files (delta files in librsync parlance) that are stored in the rdiff-backup repository. Therefore, even if rdiff-backup was modified to use the newer Blake2 hashes, rdiff-backup would remain compatible with older backup repositories. Thus, I think it is incorrect to say that 'All backups must therefore start from "scratch"'.

I think it probably would be good if rdiff-backup started using Blake2 rather than MD4 hashes by default. But when communicating with older instances of rdiff-backup which don't use Blake2, rdiff-backup should probably revert to using MD4 rather than failing.

--Joe