Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backups failing

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] backups failing
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 11:27:52 +0000

On 5 February 2018 at 10:59, Richard Hector <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with an (inherited) rdiff-backup setup - actually used
> from backupninja.
>
> When I try to run a backup, I get:
>
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> <redacted>/foo.2018-01-30T08:55:35Z.dir
>
> I get the same thing if I run with --check-destination-dir.
>
> I'm not clear why the file is missing, but probably due to a backup that
> stopped part way through for some reason.
>
> I'm also not clear why the file needs to be there in the first place -
> should there be one for every directory for every backup (that hasn't
> been deleted yet)?
>
> I've tried just copying the previous one to the name that's missing
> (they're all size 0), and am re-running --check-destination-dir. I
> suspect it won't be the only file affected though.
>
> It's a bit fiddly, because I don't have shell access to the destination
> machine - it's rsync.net, and I can only run certain provided commands.
> I guess that also means I couldn't patch the remote copy of
> rdiff-backup, if I found a way to fix it.

This could be tricky. I would suggest doing what you are already doing
i.e. manually create dummy files for any that are reported missing
when you run rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir and repeat as
nauseam until you hopefully get it to work.

For the future, I recommend that you verify an archive before adding a
new increment and ideally take a backup of said archive in between:

- verify (primary) archive
- if successful, update your backup of archive
- if update of you backup of archiveis successful, add increment to
(primary) archive

Dominic, https://www.timedicer.co.uk