[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs

From: meeotch
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup, hard links, and multiple configs
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 09:13:39 -0700

>>  Hard-linking is not an issue for rdiff-backup. As long as the files are not
>> modified afterwards, it's not an issue.
>>  It's not possible backup only subset of files with rdiff-backup, but it
>> sound like a nice feature to get implemented !
>>  Would be nice to hear back from you once you completed your setup !

Thanks for the reply.  After taking a few days to painstakingly sift through
all my data, I feel like I may be able to separate out the parts that are
appropriate for rdiff-backup.  (Mostly mail files in the mbox format, and a
couple other large database files for various apps.)  My current plan is to use
a "dumb" solution for the overall snapsot - probably just stock rsync, using
the --backup and --backup-dir options, and keep that master snapshot in the
snapraid-protected area.  The excluded mail/etc files I'll just rdiff-backup to
a non-snapraid disk.  Reassembling the whole thing in the event of a full-drive
failure shouldn't be too hard.  I figure it's a good idea to do the simple
thing first, and then let actual experience teach me which files belong under
which scheme.