Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

From: David
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:25:40 +0100

Thanks Dave,

It is great to see this happening :)

Dawid

On 2016-02-13 6:28, Dave Kempe wrote:
Gday,
as of today, Sol1 has taken over official maintainership of rdiff-backup. We have done so with the blessing of the original author, Ben Escoto, and from the most recent maintainer(s).
We will be migrating the code to github:

I have been triaging the bugs at: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rdiff-backup/ and will migrate the postponed bugs to githubs bug tracker over the next few days.
We intend to migrate to the wiki and bugtracker on github in the near future.

The aim is to modernise development of rdiff-backup, and port it to python3 and librsync2. Wes will probably be doing most of the work, however we happily welcome contributions from the community.

Sol1 has been using and assisting with development of rdiff-backup for over 12 years, and its time we stepped up and committed commercial resources to it. This is in part self-preservation, we would like to protect our investment, and in part giving back to the community. We feel this strikes the right balance, and of course we will continue to honour the open source license and nature of rdiff-backup. We have no plans to change the license or do any else than maintain and modernise it.

We will need community support in testing the new releases we are planning, as there will be significant changes with python3 and librsync2 that will need testing.

More to come as we work out the next steps.

thanks

David Kempe