Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fuzzy match - moved/renamed

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fuzzy match - moved/renamed
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 08:28:04 -0500

David <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there plans to implement fuzzy match or similar algorithms to
> match files moved/renamed files?

In the last few years there have not been any updates, not even the
usual security and portability nits.

> What I would like to suggest is:
> in case of discovering new file, calculate checksum, check if the
> checksum exists already in destination folder (under any subfolder):
> a) if the file does exist in destination folder (different file
> name/path) and the file name/path does not exist anymore in the
> source, simply rename/move file

You may want to look at bup or attic, or similar tools.

If anyone is actually working on rdiff-backup, I'm sure  most readers of
this list would appreciate a "note from the maintainer" describing
status.