Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project

From: Tobias Leupold
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] State of the rdiff-backup project
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:06:43 +0200

> (once upon a time in the past, when Gentoo killed the rdiff-backup, there
> were some comments from the Gentoo-maintainer, but these somehow deemed me
> low featured).

Meanwhile, it's back in Gentoo. Probably too many people complained about
rdiff-backup being gone. I'm a Gentoo user and I was really searching for
alternatives. I didn't find any. There's a program called rsnapshot which
looked very promising, easy to use and solid. It also creates incremental
backups, and using hard links, all states are accessible as-is. Sadly, it (of
course, due to the hard link concept) can't increment changed files, as rdiff-
backup does. So if you backup large files, a new version will be created as
soon as it changes.

I would really love to see rdiff-backup's development going on. It's the
backup tool I have been using for ever, and it's really fine.

Probably, a first step would be to port it to Python 3? Just saying ...

Cheers, Tobias