Re: [rdiff-backup-users] adding --resume back

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] adding --resume back
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:02:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, Dominic Raferd wrote:

If I had enough space for the LVM snapshot, I would probably rsync the current data and run rdiff-backup locally on the destination every time rsync succeeds.
This would provide - in our setup - the same protection as LVM with respect
to broken increments, but also resume a partial session after network shortage
and server restarts.

You are facing quite a tough situation! You didn't comment on the idea of lengthening the ssh timeouts, but given the severity of the situations you have to allow for, maybe this can't help. I should point out that using an LVM snapshot should not need nearly as much space as rsync because it only has to store the differences between the old rdiff-backup archive and the new, and it does not have to persist once the backup is complete. Still rsync is a simpler (and more familiar) solution and surely the lack of disk space is cheaper to fix than the value of your time recoding rdiff-backup?

That gives me an interesting idea. Since the rdiff-backup destination is a mirror of the source, we can rsync over it. Of course if we did this on a real repository it would destroy it, but we could safely do this:

* create a writable LVM snapshot containing the rdiff-backup repository,
* delete the rdiff-backup-data directory from it,
* rsync from the target over the snapshot's rdiff directory,
* run rdiff-backup from the snapshot back to the original location,
* then discard the snapshot.

Cheers, Chris.
--
\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <address@hidden> Cambs UK |