[rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup

From: Tobias Leupold
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Gentoo masking rdiff-backup
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:41:29 +0200

Hello list!

Gentoo Linux has masked rdiff-backup:

        Patrick Lauer <address@hidden> (09 Apr 2014)
        Dead upstream, has known dataloss bugs.
        Please use something more sane: rsnapshot, backuppc, obnam, ...

I have been using rdiff-backup for years now on multiple machines, it has been
always working fine for me and I really love it. Additionally, afaik there's
no drop-in replacement doing basically the same thing atm.

So what's the current state of the project? Is there any chance it will
continue to be developed and come back to life? I do some Python programming
myself, but I don't think my skills are sophisticated enough to fix rdiff-
backup bugs or even to maintain it.

Asking in another way: is there an rdiff-backup bugzilla listing those
dataloss bugs? I would really want to see what _exactly_ is wrong with rdiff-
backup at the moment.

Tobias