Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long

From: Joe Steele
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 23:38:43 -0400

On 10/27/2013 2:36 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:39:45 -0400
"Thomas H. George"<address@hidden>  wrote:

An attempt to backup my desktop failed with the message:
SpecialFileError /home/tom/.cache/keyring-Jw0E3d/control Socket error:
AF_UNIX path too long
This doesn't answer your question directly, but you can
--exclude-sockets to skip all AF_UNIX socket files.  It doesn't make
much sense to back them up anyway, IMHO.

I tried adding --exclude-sockets to the command line but it had no
effect, the backup again failed with the same SpecialFileError as above.

My guess is that the first time this socket was backed up, it succeeded (i.e., the backup path wasn't too long). But the next time it was backed up, the path became too long because the snapshot file had "rdiff-backup-data/increments/" added to the path at the beginning, and it had something like ".2009-06-12T19:35:55-04:00.snapshot" added at the end of the file name.

Once it became part of your backup, there is no easy way of getting around it trying to create a snapshot file when the next backup runs. Using "--exclude-sockets" is effectively the same as saying the file no longer exists (which is equivalent to deleting the file). When the next backup runs, rdiff-backup will try to create a snapshot of the deleted (or excluded) file, and that will continue to fail because the full path name of the snapshot has grown too long.

I created a patch to fix this problem 4+ years ago. It can be found attached to this bug report:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26847

--Joe