Re: [rdiff-backup-users] piping mysqldump thru rdiff-backup

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] piping mysqldump thru rdiff-backup
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:51:48 +0100

On 11/06/2013 15:59, Eric Beversluis wrote:
I want to create a cron job to do mysqldump and run the output through
rdiff-backup so it goes right into /home/eric/repository/mysql. Can
someone give me the correct syntax for that? Do I have to do the mysql
dump to a particular file and then rdiff that file? (Which would mean
I'd have to overwrite that file each time.) Or is there some way I can
just pipe the mysqldump output right through rdiff-backup?

Thanks

I'm not sure of the exact syntax to dump (that's a mysql question!) but it shouldn't be a problem just to dump into the same file each time and overwrite it, then backup that file with rdiff-backup. rdiff-backup will keep all the versions of that file so you won't have lost anything.

I just quiesce my mysql server using "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;", take an LVM snapshot, unquiesce with "UNLOCK TABLES;", and then backup the snapshot of mysql (and other) data with rdiff-backup, so no need to dump anything. Of course this depends on having the filesystem running on top of LVM.

HTH, Dominic
http://www.timedicer.co.uk/