Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Curly braces in file names

From: KP
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Curly braces in file names
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:06:32 -0700

Hi Domonic,

It turns out that my ZFS filesystem doesn't allow renaming of symlinks *if* the target *doesn't* exist.  I've traced the problem to rpath.rename, when it's trying to rename the tmp.N symlink to the real name, and the target doesn't exist yet because it's later in the list.

Is it possible to prioritize the writing of symlinks' targets *ahead* of the symlinks themselves?

I don't know the code well enough yet where that could be handled, so I'm asking for help.  Maybe this can be resolved, but I'm also thinking of symlink targets located in a different subtree than the symlink.  Does rdiff-backup know that linkage exists without ingesting all of source directories' metadata?

Kevin