Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:55:57 -0600

On 12/03/2012 01:47 PM, Grant wrote:
 > All the owner and group IDs (both the names and the numeric IDs) are
 > kept in the mirror_metadata files.  By default, rdiff-backup will try to
 > restore to the same owner and group _names_.  You can use the
 > "--preserve-numerical-ids" option to restore to the same numeric
 > UIDs/GIDs.

That's great.  Does the same sort of thing apply to file permissions?  If so, I
can mangle owners, groups, and permissions as badly as I want and they'll still
be perfectly preserved when I restore?

Any writing to the mirror other than by rdiff-backup itself is highly
discouraged, but all of the metadata (ownership, permissions, ACLs, ...)
is stored separately from the mirror and should restore correctly. All
bets are off, though, if you add, delete, or change the contents of any
file there.

                Do NOT delete it.