Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Winsdows 7/Vista ACLs not restored correctly?

From: Leland Best
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Winsdows 7/Vista ACLs not restored correctly?
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:53:36 -0600

Thanks yet again Dominic!

On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 12:59 +0100, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> Leland:
>
> Plaudits for your detailed research. Here is a developer thread from the
> time when the Windows ACL code was being developed for rdiff-backup:
>
> (June 2008).

Thank you.  I've looked at this briefly but it seems that, mostly, the
patches mentioned as "attached" aren't actually there.  Maybe I need to
be registered to see/access them?  Regardless, I did figure out that
win_acl.py was probably the place to start looking.  Well, that and the
win32security module.

Also, I was able to build my own Win32 native executable using hints
from a thread I posted a link to previously.  Things must have changed
since those posts because it required some manual intervention to get it
to build.  I used the latest releases of the python librsync and
win32security modules and it _did_ build eventually.  Sadly (or not
depending how you look at it), it seems to behave identically to
the .exe from the Sanannah/nongnu web site.

> Sadly rdiff-backup is no long under development, the last maintainer
> seemed to lose interest after March 2009 and no one has picked up the
> baton. I still find it very powerful and reliable for backing up data
> from Windows machines to a Linux backup server - I'm not bothered about
> permissions, though.

Yes, it _is_ reliable _and_ useful!  And it is sad that development has
ceased.  Of course the thought of picking up/forking the project on my
own has occurred to me but since I don't even know python, never mind
the nuances of doing backups from (potentially) many different types of
file-systems, this seems unlikely at the moment. :( :( :(

[Off topic ...]
The way I structure my backups, permissions info is pretty essential as
I try to preserve enough to do a full system restore if necessary
(modulo the fact that I don't have to worry about big active databases
on any of my systems).  On Linux I back up /home frequently (to keep
recent backups of all users "personal" data) but / and /boot (or
whatever is necessary for a system restore) much less regularly.
(BTW, / and /boot are backed up with --preserve-numerical-ids.)  Then,
if I have to, I can start from "bare metal", boot a Linux live CD with
rdiff-backup on it (or install it if needed), mkfs the hard disk
partitions, mount and restore /, chroot to the restored /, mount and
restore /boot and /home, install grub pointing to the restored /boot,
and bingo(!) I'm up and running again.

I'd _like_ to be able to do the same for Windows boxes but this seems
unlikely (at least not directly with rdiff-backup) because of all the
funky stuff like "reparse points" and "alternate streams" that NTFS
supports.  But I would at least like to be able to back up and
(obviously) restore C:\Users (roughly the equivalent of /home on Linux).
However, if I back it up without ACLs as you suggest then if I restore
all of C:\Users, it seems like the permissions will be all wrong and
I'll just get a big mess to sort out.  Yes?  No?

As a final off topic note, I've just "dicovered" "burp" (see
http://burp.grke.net/http://burp.grke.net/ ) which claims to back up
Windows to Linux, and to do reverse diff style incremental backups as
well as some other nifty features but I've not had a chance to
adequately test it yet.  I _can_ say it's _much_ harder to set up though
for whatever that's worth.
[... well, back on topic ...]

>  (Note that the rdiff-backup option --no-acls works
> both for Posix and Windows systems.)
[...]

Ah, no, I didn't know that.  Thanks.  I'll try that but I _suspect_ that
unless I restructure my backups it won't work for me (see above off
topic stuff).

I suppose another approach that might be adequate for C:\Users would be
to look at adding support for the cygwin ACL API to rdiff-backup.  I
think cygwin layers the the Solaris ACL API on top of the Windows ACL
API (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin ).  Obviously,
that would require running it under cygwin but for me that would not be
a Big Deal.

Well, it sounds like I'm kind of on my own here.  If I get anywhere I'll
post here (unless this is the wrong place for that?).  In the meantime
any and all help, hints, comments, suggestions, etc. are more than
welcome!

Cheers
Leland
Leland C. Best      | Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is
address@hidden | something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.