Re: [rdiff-backup-users] instrument data backup

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] instrument data backup
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:57:18 -0500

On 07/29/2012 06:58 PM, Z F wrote:
Basically, I need an easy access to files which are deleted from the system.
The files which are present on the system at the backup time and were deleted
before a subsequent backup can be easily found (using find) and restored with a
cp command.
Files which were deleted from the source directory before the last backup are
also deleted from the "mirror" but are present in the rdiff-backup history.

I do not see an easy way to browse or search the deleted files by creation date
or file name.
I see

rdiff-backup --list-at-time ??D
out-dir/subdir

which will work if I know the date when the file was created. Is this my only
option?

rdiff-backup -l /backup_root/path/to/the/file

will list all of the available increments for that file even if the file
no longer exists in the mirror.

Have you looked at http://code.google.com/p/rdiff-backup-fs/  ?   It's a project
to create a userspace filesystem that accesses an rdiff-backup repository.

Quoting from the project page:

    "Possible solution is to create userspace filesystem based on
    rdiff-backup repository data. As these information are well and
    explicitly stored, they can be easily accessed by the filesystem and
    presented to user in clear and friendly manner. Instead of doing a
    lot typing and bookkeeping, user will be able to freely browse
    through any revision of the backed up directory."

I can see that there seems to be some level of ongoing developer
involvement, but I know basically nothing else about the project.

                Do NOT delete it.