Re: [rdiff-backup-users] confirmation of Backup by rdiffbackup

From: Patrick Nagel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] confirmation of Backup by rdiffbackup
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 08:34:32 +0800

Hi,

additionally to getting the log by e-mail, make sure to also get notified if
the backup did *not run at all*. To illustrate what I mean, let me tell you
where I learned that this is necessary:

At that job every night I got lots of mail from various crons on the 10-or-so
servers. I went through them every morning, and made sure to fix any issues
they made me aware of. The thing is: you (or at least me) don't notice a
missing e-mail, or at least not for a couple of days.
So one day someone wanted to have something restored, but I couldn't connect to
the backup server. When I went to the server room and connected a monitor to
the backup server, it was hanging there with a kernel panic. It turned out to
be faulty memory. The kernel panic had occured 4 days before, and nobody had
noticed.
This wouldn't have happened with proper monitoring, e.g. running munin or
something like that. Since we didn't have this infrastructure in place, my
quick fix was to put a script on one of the main servers that got backed up by
that backup server, and ran it every few hours via cron. It would check whether
the backup server had connected, and if not, it would send an e-mail.

Patrick.