Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux

From: Tore Ericsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to linux
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 22:32:29 +0200

-----------------------------
From Valerio Pachera <address@hidden>
2011-10-04 18.02.08 [[rdiff-backup-users] Capitalized letters from windows to
linux]:
> Hi all, I know this problem is not new but I couldn't find the solution
> anywere.
>
> Try simply to copy a file with capitalized letters in the file name
> form windows to a linux rdiff-backup server.
>
> I created the file àèìòù.txt in a test folder (windows), then I copied it
> by:
>
> rdiff-backup.exe --print-statistics --override-chars-to-quote ''
> --remote-schema "plink -i private.ppk %%s rdiff-backup --server"
> "F:/test" address@hidden::/mnt/dati/backup/f/test
>
> I get no error from rdiff-backup but when I look at the backed up file
> I see a question mark for each capitalized letter:
>
> # ls -l test/
> totale 4
> drwx------ 3 root root 4096  4 ott 17.52 rdiff-backup-data
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    0  4 ott 17.46 ?????.txt
>

> I'm using rdiff-backup 1.2.8 on both sides.
> The linux server is running debian squeeze x86_64.
> The windows server is running windows server 2008 64 bit.
>
> I got the same problem in the past between debian lenny and windows 2003.

I do not know how to resolve your things. However I can tell the story how I
use rdiff-backup in a special case with mixed file systems. Mybe this can help
at least as an inspiration for other cases?

I am backing up from ext3 (etc.) to fat32 using Kubuntu (Debian based). Having
experienced file name incompatibility frustration on several occasions
formerly, I use file names with ascii characters only (without spaces) and
preferrably lower case letters in order not to confuse the Windows file system
with unintended duplicates. If there are no latent duplicates even both-case
names may work.

Still (why?) I need to take precautions to avoid character errors related to
yours. I did use and modify advices found at a forum, please look at

After some experiments I found my backups running without errors using

rdiff-backup --no-hard-links --override-chars-to-quote '"*/:<>?\\|;' $so $de

where $so is ext3 and $de is fat32. The --no-hard-links option has no
significance in this (if I remember right), but the --override-chars-to-quote
string is needed to remove character errors similar to yours.

Do not ask me to explain further since I cannot, can anybody, please?

Tore

P.S. Why copying from ext3 to fat32? A: Can use the files on my (duplicate)
backup disk directly with a Windows computer.