[rdiff-backup-users] rename rather than copy snapshot into increments?

From: Dylan Alex Simon
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rename rather than copy snapshot into increments?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 16:31:41 -0400

I've found that for my data (local backup to different disk), rdiff-backup
spends a lot of its time dealing with deleted (or renamed -- though I
understand the limitation there) files.  I switched to --no-compression, since
space is not a major issue, and it got somewhat faster, but it still spends a
lot of time copying files from the mirror into increments snapshot before
deleting the mirror.

Would it be possible to make it rename the file in this case, instead?  It
looks like might be possible to have increment.makesnapshot detect this case,
but someone who's more familiar with the code would probably have a better
idea.

(Note that I haven't tried the development version, only glanced at the
changes, so if this is already supported somewhere that'd be great to know.)