[rdiff-backup-users] Trying to fix Windows long paths with junctions but

From: pint
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to fix Windows long paths with junctions but rdiff-backup ignores symlinks
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:38:54 +0300

Hi,

I'm having problems with too long path's on XP system, so I hard-linked a directory with junction.exe. Now rdiff-backup says, my junction is "Not a directory" or when using --include-globbing-filelist, creates an error: Exception ''module' object has no attribute 'symlink'' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>': ...

As I found out, a change was made to the program some time ago, so Windows version ignores all symlinks by default to avoid problems with Vista. Is there any way to turn this off, so it does follow symlinks? --include-symbolic-links does not seem to help. Or is there some other way to fix long pathnames? (mounting directories with subst is my last resort, which i'm trying to avoid. Too much hassle to run multiple rdiff-backups..)