Re: [rdiff-backup-users] About backups and increments

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] About backups and increments
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:08:03 -0500

On 08/22/2011 02:26 PM, Maarten Bezemer wrote:

Likewise, if a file hasn't been changed for 3 months and it is changed today,
but I only want to keep 1 month of history, I can NOT simply ditch the 3-months
old version. Maybe it wasn't changed for all these months, but it is still
yesterday's version and has to be kept in history for the coming month minus 1
day...

If that old file is changed today, then what is kept is today's version
(the mirror) and a diff to reconstruct what the file was yesterday.  You
can indeed simply ditch any history older than 1 month.  In fact, that
"three-months-old" version _did_ get discarded as soon as you made
today's backup.  The only thing kept showing that the file was actually
old is the timestamp in the mirror_metadata files.

                Do NOT delete it.