[rdiff-backup-users] Safe to use --force with --list-increments ?

From: David Precious
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Safe to use --force with --list-increments ?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:28:47 +0100

Hi there,

I've searched the docs and Googled, but not come up with an answer, so hoping
someone here will know the answer to this.

When I use -l (--list-increments) on a backup destination to which a backup is
in progress, I get told:

  address@hidden:~]$ rdiff-backup -l /mnt/2tb/supernova
  Fatal Error: It appears that a previous rdiff-backup session with process
  id 20764 is still running.  If two different rdiff-backup processes write
  the same repository simultaneously, data corruption will probably
  result.  To proceed with regress anyway, rerun rdiff-backup with the
  --force option.

I didn't want rdiff-backup to regress the destination or otherwise make any
changes, simply to list the current increments available.

If I use rdiff-backup -l --force, will it clobber the existing backup run, or
safely continue to list increments without any effects on the destination dir?

Cheers

Dave P

--
David Precious  ("bigpresh")
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
   it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)