[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files

From: Arno Wagner
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 22:19:59 +0200

Hi,

I do full Linux root partition backups with rdiff-backup
1.2.8 on Debian squeeze. As I have had numerous instances of
silent corruption, I always verify my backups, in this case with

  rdiff-backup --compare-full --exclude-sockets --exclude-other-filesystems

This verify gives me several "metadata the same, data changed"
errors, that do not make sense. Examples are

   /usr/share/doc/libssl-dev/demos/tunala/INSTALL.gz
   /usr/share/doc/lrzsz/NEWS.gz
   /usr/share/doc/openssl/doc/apps/rsa.pod.gz
   /usr/share/doc/xfig/LATEX.AND.XFIG.zh_CN.gz

When I compare manually, these files are indeed different,
but gzip -tv tells me both are fine and they decompress
to bit-identical files.

One thing I have noticed is that these files are all pretty old.

What is going on here? As I also use md5sum for integrity checks,
modifying .gz files in a backup is really not a good idea., even
if they decompress the same. In fact changing anything when backing
up files is not a good idea. Also, with this problem, I have to
check manually for each verification error whether it is truely an
error or an instance of this not-really corruption.

To me this looks like a bug in rdiff-backup.
I have observed this only with .gz files.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: address@hidden
----