Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Intermittent connection failures

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Intermittent connection failures
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:48:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Another way to find out what's going on, could be to add -v to the ssh command (remote schema). Right now, all we know is that it fails, but it would be good to know whether the problem is with rdiff-backup or simply just what the subject-line says: a connection failure.

Side note: please remove the --force argument from the command line. It has a habit of breaking things. Use it with caution.

You mention having tried with rsync. Did you do an rsync to a local copy, or to the rdiff-backup tree? With the rdiff-backup (not up-to-date) tree, rsync would only update some files, and possibly not suffer from randomly occurring network outages. When you subsequently use rdiff-backup to turn the tree into a rdiff-backup managed backup tree, rdiff-backup has to process each and every file (to create rdiff-backup-data/ metadata files) which can take a much longer time, with an increased risk of breaking half-way it the network is unstable.

My money would be on the network stability.
Maybe rdiff-backup could somehow be made more robust, but I doubt the current design can be patched to support reconnection attempts when disconnected unexpectedly.

--
Maarten