[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Backup not identifying changed file, even thoug

From: Remy Blank
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Backup not identifying changed file, even though hash is different
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:42:28 +0100

Scott Jilek wrote:
> How does Rdiff identify changes that trigger backup?  I know the file
> times/file size will not change since it's a fixed size 1GB container
> and Truecrypt purposely doesn't update file timestamps, but the hash
> will change as the contents will change.

That's the problem, rdiff-backup uses the file size and mtime. Both of
which don't change here. The same happens when you open Microsoft Excel
files without saving them: the content changes, but Excel resets the
mtime back to the old value.

> Is there any way to force Rdiff to use a hash compare for difference
> triggering?

No, there isn't. I asked for exactly this a few weeks ago and didn't get
a reply.

-- Remy