Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Severe performance degradation

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Severe performance degradation
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:57:37 +0100

Am 22.12.2010 15:02, schrieb Maarten J H van den Berg:
> On 12/21/10 18:51, Jakob Unterwurzacher wrote:
>

>> What about the kernel version? Probably barriers are now working as they
>> should and you pay the price for that. dpkg package management had huge
>> performance regressions due to this AFAIR.
>
> Googled a bit on that but I'm left confused: are you talking about
> memory barriers, ext4 barriers, or some other type ?

I meant hard-disk write barriers as in http://lwn.net/Articles/283161/ ,
but, as the problem seems to be CIFS I think we can forget about iostat.
The CIFS client is built into the kernel, if you want to get rid of the
rsync stage I'd try the older kernel or experiment with CIFS mount
options, ( rsize=130048 is recommended often).

Regards,
Jakob