Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file

From: ~D
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 15:37:23 +0100

On 12/11/2010 01:37 PM, Dominic Raferd wrote:

yes you could write a bash script and put it as a job in your crontab
to run every 15 minutes, say...

My mirror backup server (not my primary) is updated from my primary by
a script which uses rdiff. The script runs on the primary and starts
by waking up the mirror server (over the internet), then runs rsync,
then after checking all is well, powers down the mirror.

Hmm I just have a small NAS server (qnap 109), no 'mirror backup server' here.

What do you mean by 'waking up the mirror server'?

~D Wiki

Well our main backup is done by all our machines to a server on our LAN using rdiff-backup - this I call the 'primary' backup server. Then each night this primary machine runs a script which uses rsync to copy its contents to an offsite machine, which therefore is maintained as a 'mirror' of the primary.

The mirror machine is normally switched off. To switch it on, the script sends a 'magic packet' to the mirror machine, thus turning it on. Then the script runs rsync, and when that is over, it shuts the mirror machine down again.

In a simple case, you can use the wakonlan utility to wake the remote machine: see http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/. If it isn't already available on your machine and you use Debian or Ubuntu you can add it with apt-get I think. If the remote machine is behind another router then waking it may be more complicated: I have a special script to pass through Netgear DG834G router, for example (see http://www.timedicer.co.uk/dg834g.)

Sounds like a professional setup, advanced and interesting, thanks for info.

For now I keep it the way I have :)

~D