Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Daemon VS ssh

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Daemon VS ssh
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:30:58 +0000

On 26/11/2010 11:14, Valerio Pachera wrote:
2010/11/25 Jacob Anawalt<address@hidden>:
Look into the remote-schema option, search around for rdiff-backup and netcat,
and there are ssh cipher options.
I found an article
http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.backup.rdiff-backup.general/2006-02/msg00088.html
I read about --remote.schema but, honestly, I didn't digested it so well.

Could you please tell me if in the point 2 of the article, ssh is
involved or not?

Most of all, I'm wondering if there's an easy way to have a central
backup server that contact windows and linux clients to back up their
data.

You can certainly do this with a package such as (for Windows) TimeDicer
http://www.timedicer.co.uk. This uses rdiff-backup with ssh connection
managed by plink. But this is for 'push' backups - the clients contact
the server and send backups. Works well with a primary server on the
local network, and offsite mirror server for belt'n'braces protection.

Dominic