Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exception '[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory'

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exception '[Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory'
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:51:29 +1000

Jim Faulkner wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Gavin wrote:

      I've put a log of the backup here:
      http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jfaulkne/bode-rdiff-backup.txt

      and here's the same failure when using "--terminal-verbosity 7":
      http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jfaulkne/bode-rdiff-backup2.txt

      Anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong here?

Try copying the base data to dest with rsync first and then run rdiff-backup against
it with --force.

That worked!  The rdiff-backup finished successfully after an initial rsync of the data.  Why did I need to run rsync first to make it work?

Rsync is simply better (resume and other options) at connections across networks so this is a common method.
Don't forget to remove the --force option after the first rdiff-backup run and then run rdiff-backup again.
In my experience two rdiff-backup runs is required to be sure that the repo is working.

Also I usually recommend using backupninja instead off rdiff-backup directly to provide a backup system.

Cheers
Gavin

--
www.gnumims.org