Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN "No changes

From: Marian 'VooDooMan' Meravy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error "Unable to compare" BUT THEN "No changes found. Directory matches." What?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:16:20 +0200

EHLO

Greetings,

devels: rdiff-backup stores data by using industry standard "gzip". But
bz2 has better compression. Or even usage of 7zip, which is not
"industry standard" but everyone is using it, so it will become industry
standard sooner or later, and it has more aggressive compression than
all other zip algorithms (it has even multi-thread support, so SMP
kernels and multi-core systems can use advantage of it). PS: 7zip AFAIK
has library installed besides command-line tool `mc` - midnight
commander is using it) -> I'm not sure about .so library, but I'm really
sure that bz2 package _HAS_ library, I mean .so on unices, on windows,
there should be .dll as well).

would it be possible to implement bz2, or even 7zip ?

on windows installation (e.g. cygwin) can place dependency for
compression libraries...

Best,
VooDooMan
.