Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Advice on using rdiff-backup for home backup so

From: Billy Crook
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Advice on using rdiff-backup for home backup solution
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 12:19:17 -0600

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:25, taltman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to get feedback on a proposed home backup solution using
> rdiff-backup. I'm new to backups, and I'm trying to strike a balance between
> simplicity and adequate protection. I've read the rdiff-backup webpage,
> documentation, and wiki, and I've been working through the "Backup and
> Recovery" O'reilly book.
>
> I basically have two laptops (one Mac and one Linux), one Linux virtual web
> server, and one Linux workstation in my home setup. My current plan
> involves:
>
> 1. Using 'unison' to sync between the machines, using the workstation as the
> hub.
> 2. Using two 1 Tbyte externally enclosed hard drives.
> 3. Performing an initial rdiff-backup of the data partition on the
> workstation to each of the external hard drives.
> 4. Taking one of the hard drives to an off-site location.
> 5. Using the remaining hard drive at home for daily/weekly rdiff-backups
> 6. Periodically switching the two external hard drives between my home and
> the off-site location.
>
> I'm not quite sure what's the best way to do #6.

When I bring the offsite drive back in to my house, I erase all files
on it that exist in my live server using a script I wrote, recover any
lost files if they still remain on the disk, re-key its luks
container, and make a full, complete backup onto it.

You can find the script at
http://kclug.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_media_scrub It gives you
assurance you will catch an accidental deletion.