Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Space in the directory name

From: Scott Carpenter
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Space in the directory name
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:35:39 -0600

Adrian Klaver spake thusly on 02/11/2010 05:16 PM:
On Thursday 11 February 2010 3:12:57 pm Cybertinus wrote:
Hello everybody,

I've tried everything and nothing seams to work. How can I backup an
directory with a space in it's name? I've tried /path/to/dir\ with\
space/ or "/path/to/dir with space", but rdiff-backup crashes on this.
It can't find the correct directory. It either thinks that every
directory is a separate directory or it thinks that the " are part of
the directory name. Both cases make the backup fail. How to fix?

Regards,
Cybertinus

How about:
/path/to/"dir with space"

I know rdiff-backup handles spaces in filenames fine in the tree, but was wondering if this was an issue just with the source dir as specified on the command line, so I tried with creating:

temp
-->A B
-->C

And creating file "A B/test.txt", and then:

temp$ rdiff-backup A\ B C

And that worked fine. (Note: I didn't try with absolute paths.) I also created subdirs under "A B" with a file in one of them and that was okay also. Have you experimented with some different scenarios on a smaller scale to see if you can reproduce it in different ways?

Scott