[rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11

From: John Jason Jordan
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:22:22 -0800

I have installed rdiff-backup 1.2.8 from the repositories on my
computer with Fedora 11 x86_64. The latest python in the repositories is
2.2.6, which is also installed. When I attempt to run it I get a page
of error messages, all of which lead me to conclude that there is an
incompatibility between python 2.6 and rdiff-backup 1.2.8.

I run it from a simple script. I am relatively new to Fedora, and the
script was originally written when I was using Ubuntu. It worked fine
there. I do not know what version of python or rdiff-backup was
installed then; all I know is that it "just worked."

A local Linux friend who understands python told me I needed to run
setup.py. There is a README file for rdiff-backup that says to install
it you need to run "python setup.py install." Unfortunately, the README
does not say what directory to run the command from. I searched my
entire filesystem for "setup.py" and found ten of them, all
in /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/. I have been told that
those are the wrong setup.py files.

Basically I need to run setup.py to reconfigure rdiff-backup for python
2.6. But I can't figure out which setup.py to run.

Can someone please give me a clue here? Or if there is an easier/better
way to get rdiff-backup working on Fedora 11, please tell me how. Oh,
and I installed pybackpack, the GUI front end for rdiff-backup, and it
runs fine. The only problem is that pybackpack does not allow me to
exclude files with a wildcard. It can exclude only folders. I have a
lot of distro ISOs scattered around and there is no need to back them
up, so I want to exclude *.iso. Therefore, I want to run rdiff-backup
from the command line.