[rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup a bit

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Ways to speed rdiff-backup a bit
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:18:33 +0000

I'm running rdiff-backup on a Western Digital My Book World Edition
II, it's a little NAS server that runs linux and has ssh login
available.

The rdiff-backup is running from one of the NAS server's drives to the
other drive, i.e. it's not being run from another system to (or from)
the NAS and thus is not limited by network bandwidth.

I'm backing up two large[ish] directories, one is around 164Gb, the
other is about 35Gb.

The 35Gb one takes about 7 minutes to run, which is fine, but the
165Gb one takes 4 hours and 5 minutes.  Presumably there's some sort
of resource limitation which the bigger backup is hitting and hence
running slower.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance?  My first guess
would be that rdiff-backup is running out of 'real' memory and
swapping which is slowing things.

It has 126828 kB of memory, more than I thought, that's 128Mb.

The processor is an ARM926EJ-S, 183 BogoMIPS.

--
Chris Green