Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fix for error when trying to clean up a full fi

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fix for error when trying to clean up a full filesystem
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:22:22 +1000

Mmm maybe or maybe just an admin flaw?
I'm not an rdiff-backup developer mind just a user.

I think you might find a few bits of software that crash if they run out of hard drive space.
There are other alert programs that alarm when drive space is getting low.

Sure it would be nice if rdiff-backup could recover and save one when this happens and it
does happen. There was some discussion on list some time back about being able to specify
temp space so that rdiff-backup could perform at least a roll back.

Cheers
Gavin

John Soros wrote:
So then why is this not done automatically? I mean, if your software can't
take it if it runs out of space, that's a design flaw you need to prepare for.
The user will usually not guess the problem with the software until it's too
late.
Thanks
John

Gavin <address@hidden> wrote on Saturday 05 December 2009

A work around or way to protect against this is to create an appropriate
sized blank file in the backup partition.
I usually create a 1GB blank file:

dd if=/dev/zero of=EmptyFile bs=1M count=1000

Then when the backup fails just delete the blank file and run the backup
again.
The added benefit of doing this is that it gives you a soft limit and
some time to re-organise your drives/partitions.
(Speaking of which it's about time for me to do just that)

Cheers
Gavin

John Soros wrote:

Here (attached) is a quick fix i applied to rdiff-backup so i didn't have
to start the backup all over, my disk got full and we are (unfortunately)
still not using lvm.
I am not sure as to the cleanliness of the patch, but it seems to be
working fine, hopefully this can be helpful, as i think having a disk
full with rdiff- backup is a PITA...

Wiki URL:
http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki