Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote nice level

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote nice level
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:15:59 +0100

2009/11/21 iCy-fLaME <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> I am use rdiff-backup from an remote server:
>
> rdiff-backup address@hidden::/remote/backup/path /local/backup/path
>
> [...]
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to run the remote rdiff-backup daemon
> in nice 19, for example, to reduce the stress it puts on the server.

This should do it:

rdiff-backup --remote-schema 'ssh %s nice -19 rdiff-backup --server'
address@hidden::/remote/backup/path /local/backup/path

For hard disk throtteling, you could add "ionice -c3" if your kernel
uses the CFQ scheduler. Note that this will 1) only throttle reads 2)
I'm not sure if it will affect the metadata operations (stat() on
every file!)

Jakob