Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remote-schema works manually, but not w/ rdiff-

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] remote-schema works manually, but not w/ rdiff-backup
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:13:22 +0200

On Thursday 15 October 2009 18:36:29 Bryan Vicknair wrote:
> When I run this command:
>  sudo rdiff-backup --print-statistics --exclude-globbing-filelist
> /home/bry/backup/vic/exclude --remote-schema 'ssh -C %s sudo
> rdiff-backup --server' vic::/home /home/bry/backup/vic/home
>
> I get the error:
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname vic: Name or service not known
> Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)
>
> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
>
>     ssh -C vic sudo rdiff-backup --server
>

> However, when I run "ssh -C vic sudo rdiff-backup --server" manually,
> it works fine.  Why is it saying it can't resolve hostname vic:?  I
> have 'vic' setup in my .ssh/config file, and it works fine manually.
> The only reason I am using --remote-schema is so I can stick the
> 'sudo' in there, because I need rdiff-backup to run as root on the
> server so it can read all the files, and the root user is not
> available in Ubuntu, so I have to use sudo.

In what .ssh/config have you set the hostname? In /home/you/.ssh/config or
/root/.ssh/config? When you use sudo you run the program as root, hence it will
look in the root home directory for user specific setting. Another option is to
use /etc/ssh/ssh_config, which then will apply those settings to every user on
the machine.

Also, an Ubuntu system very much has a root user. It is simply locked. If you
want to use it you can do so by giving it a password and/or an ssh public key.

// Andreas