[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: Will these errors clear on the next pass?

From: Chris G
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: Will these errors clear on the next pass?
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:46:15 +0100

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 08:24:54AM -0400, Daniel Miller wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Chris G wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> ... and it doesn't go away by itself, I have *exactly* the same errors
>> today.
>
> No, it probably won't go away by itself. I get the same type of error on
> the same (high activity) log file every single day. The link that
> Andreas sent has an explanation of the issue and some potential work-
> arounds.

On looking harder at it I realised *why* it won't go away.  The "does
not match" errors are coming from /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs
directories and I'm backing up to, guess what, a remote NFS mounted
drive so the files in question really *are* changing during the backup.

I want to back up /var/lib so this is a problem.

> I personally think rdiff-backup should have an option that you could
> specify "files in directory X should be backed up even if they change
> during the backup". It would be cleaner than the other two "simple"
> solutions mentioned on the wiki.

All I need is a way to make the error messages go away so a successful
backup is silent.

--
Chris Green