Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Computed SHA1 digest doesn't match recorded

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Computed SHA1 digest doesn't match recorded digest
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:17:59 -0400

I can't speak for others, but I can tell you that I personally care.

Thank you, Josh.

My general policy is that if someone is willing to send me a repository that demonstrates the problem, I'm willing to take a look at it. I guess I'm a little slow to respond, because it often happens that it is bad hardware, etc that's causing the problem. However, if you're certain that that's not the case here, and are willing to send me a repository that duplicates the problem, I can look into it.

I'm not sure how to duplicate the problem in a test repository, since I don't know why or how it happened in the first place. Do you have any advice for how I can:

a. verify that my hardware is not the problem? I don't want to waste your time if the problem is with my hardware. FWIW, I used the OS X Disk Utility application to verify the disk where my repository is located, and it did not report any problems.

b. send you a subset of my live repository that would give you what you need? (I suspect that you don't want all 100+ GB, and I would have no way of getting that much data to you anyway)

I'll do everything I can to give you what you need to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks a lot for your interest/help.

~ Daniel

P.S. I CC'd the list in this reply. Did you intentionally keep your reply off-list?