RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Quick question - Can rdiff (or anything else)

From: eharvey
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Quick question - Can rdiff (or anything else) do this?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:23:29 -0400

> >> Can rdiff (or anything that anyone knows of) do this?
> >>

> > storebackup can
>
> rdiff-backup also does this superbly, see
> rsync and utilities based around

Really?  My understanding of rsync & rdiff-backup was:  They will scan the
source directory for changed files, and only copy the files that have
changed.  My understanding was:  If a file has changed, the whole file
will be sent (and not just the changed sections within the changed file.)

Am I wrong about the 2nd point?  Can you show me some documentation to
that fact?  I could only find documentation that says "only send the files
that changed" and didn't find any documentation indicating "only the
changed sections of the changed files would be sent."

The storebackup page explicitly says "splits big image files (from eg.
TrueCrypt, mbox, Xen, KVM, VMware, etc.) or complete devices into small
pieces"   ...   This is what I'm seeking, so I consider my original
question answered.  (Thank you Billy.)