Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SSH time out, how to remedy? [Scanned]

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SSH time out, how to remedy? [Scanned]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:52:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Pieter Donche wrote:

However, data connections in FTP can be both active and passive, meaning that they can be originated at local or remote side. What type of FTP did you test?

FTP was started on the backup server, to fetch a large file on the target
machine.

That wasn't what I meant. Did you use passive FTP or active FTP file transfers, and/or does that make any difference.

For now, especially since you say that tweaking the firewall settings 'fix' your problem, I'd say your firewall device is screwing things up.

As I said, there were never problems when the backup server and target
machine were in the same building (different subnets), but the problem
arose when the backup server was moved to a different building 5 kms away.

For some reason when backup server was still in same building as target,
the situation of receiving more than 3 requests per minute did not
happen, so the firewall didn't drop anything.

Now it seems this situation does happen and the firewall acted upon
that situation.  The question is how can this situation now happen...

rdiff-backup opens an ssh connection only once, so that shouldn't trigger your firewall.
Is this firewall a separate device, or maybe just Linux iptables?

And, if you say that the only difference is the systems now being 5km apart, looking for the source of the problems in this 5km network connection is a good way to start. Which leaves me with the question:

Did you monitor failing sessions with tcpdump at both ends? That may be a lot of data to parse through, but may be very helpful in pinpointing the problem. Connections only time out after a lot of retransmits, and at some point in the network between the two hosts either the data or the ack packets get dropped (or corrupted, or wrongly rewritten by some firewall device).

Regards,
 Maarten