Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trouble with paths for rdiff-backup - probably

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] trouble with paths for rdiff-backup - probably a simple question/answer
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:28:34 -0400

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> wrote:
Dave wrote:
> My source directory tree looks like this. I only want to back up the latest
> directory under "the-stuff-I-want-to-backup".
> /
> -| some-stuff
> ----| my-stuff
> --------| the-stuff-I-want-to-backup
> -------------| 1001
> -------------| 1002
> -------------| 1003
> -------------| 1004
>
> The numbered directories get created automatically. Each one differs only
> slightly from prior ones. I only want to back up the latest one. These
> numbered directories include subdirectories and files.

This is not simple at all.  This is not part  of the rdiff-backup spec.
 rdiff-backup is meant to backup the same directory every time.  Of
course, files are created, modified, deleted, and excluded, and
subdirectories are created and removed, but the overall content is
supposed to remain constant.

Moroever, the rdiffs are for individual files, not for whole directories.

There is a directory tree structure that includes files inside each of 1001, 1002, ..., 100N. It is largely similar between each of 1001, ..., 100N. Therefore, backing up the contents inside these directories into one constant location on the destination would fit rdiff-backup's feature set extremely well I would think.

> So my problem is how to most efficiently back up 1004 now. I want it to be a
> diff (version) based on 1001 because most of the files are the same as 1004.
>
> How can I tell rdiff-backup to put the stuff INSIDE 1004 into the existing
> backup it stored at "/some-stuff/my-stuff/the-stuff-I-want-to-backup/1001"?

You don't, at least not without hackery.

OK, thanks. Your explanations were very helpful.

Dave