Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:27:54 -0700

> Well, this is true if you use "rdiff-backup --restore ..." to
> restore your files but using a basic "cp" of the mirror files will
> not restore properly file names, will it ? I am worried about that
> since the last backup software I used would not allow me to recover
> my file without using a specific command such as "rdiff-backup
> --restore ...". It is critical for me that basic restore can be done
> easily using "cp", even though in most of the case, the backup
> software specific command will work.

You *can* cp the files, and I expect you can open them. They'll have
"odd" names though...

While this won't work for restoring files in a database for example
where the app requires the files named a particular thing, it should
work for files opened interactively.

And the other cases can be handled by renaming interactively after a
cp.

Perhaps better is...you could "work-around" the renaming problem by
limiting your naming convention to one that never needs the quoting
mechanism to handle. (i.e. If it quotes upper-case characters, simply
never name your files with uppercase characters, or vice-versa.)

-Greg