Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem

From: Jakob Unterwurzacher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Case sensitivity problem
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:44:33 +0200

padoivi schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Seduced by the reverse diff and mirroring capabilities of rdiff-backup, I
> decided to start using it.
>
> Everything is working fine but I get problems with files or directories names
> containing capital letters such as "Documentation" which names get converted
> into things like ";068ocumentation" (the worst case being with file names
> such as "README or INSTALL").
>
> I am backing up from an ext3 filesystem (Linux, Ubuntu Hardy) to an ntfs
> filesystem  (external hard drive, USB 2.0 connection) which are both supposed
> to be case sensitive.

Hi!

I'm afraid NTFS is not case-sensitive, it is only case-preserving.
On NTFS you can't have "FOO" and "foo" in one directory - that's why
rdiff-backup has to convert uppercase letters to ugly things.

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_preservation

Is it possible that you get the error because you have some "FOO" and
"foo" files in the same directory?

Best regards,
Jakob