Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-Backup Windows Integer Overflow Problem

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-Backup Windows Integer Overflow Problem
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:56:44 -0500

I'd try putting quotes around the path of plink.exe. For example:

--remote-schema "\"c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe\"
%s rdiff-backup --server"

Josh Nisly

Orion wrote:
Hi everybody

I'm a user of rdiff-backup under Linux and I've tried today to set up a
similar configuration onto Windows. However, I've run into a difficulty
with an integer overflow error.
Some initial details first. I'm backing up from a local NTFS drive to a
remote ext3 drive. They are linked by an SSH connection. I'm using the
latest stable version of rdiff-backup on both machines and plink from
the putty package for the external SSH client on the Windows host. The
latter is also the latest version.
I'm using the following batch file to start the backup. I've
replaced some information with anonymous information for privacy
reasons.

c:

cd \

rdiff-backup --include-globbing-filelist
"c:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup\backup.cfg"
--print-statistics --remote-schema "c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe
%%s rdiff-backup --server" /
"<username>@<remotehost>::Windows-Vista-Backup"
cd \Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup

The backup.cfg file is in the following format.
c:/<pathname with / slashes>
c:/<pathname with / slashes>
- **

I've encountered various difficulties trying to get this to work, but
have hit a stage where I'm not sure what the problem is. The following
is an output from the command line.
----------------------

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup>run-backup

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup>c:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup>cd \

C:\>rdiff-backup --include-globbing-filelist
"c:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup\backup.cfg"
--print-statistics --remote-schema "c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe
%s rdiff-backup --server" /
"<username>@<remotehost>::Windows-Vista-Backup" Fatal Error:
Integer overflow while attempting to establish the remote connection by
executing

    c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe <username>@<remotehost>
    rdiff-backup --server

Please make sure that nothing is printed (e.g., by your login shell)
when this command executes. Try running this command:

    c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe <username>@<remotehost>
    rdiff-backup --version

which should only print out the text: rdiff-backup <version>

C:\>cd \Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rdiff-Backup>Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (protocol error):
"Too many authentication failures for windows"

Trying "c:\Program Files\Putty\plink.exe <username>@<remotehost>
rdiff-backup --version works fine, so I think the problem probably
relates in some way to rdiff-backup. Does anybody know what the problem
may be?

Thanks

Orion