Re: [rdiff-backup-users] what exactly does "--verify-at-time xyz" do...

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] what exactly does "--verify-at-time xyz" do...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:46:22 -0400

On Mar 23, 2009, at 2:20 PM, address@hidden wrote:
--verify-at-time xyz

Wondering about --verify-at-time xyz

What exactly does this switch do?

From my understanding of the man-page, it appears to "recreate" the
actual file based on the date used in xyz, and then compare a *new*
computation of the SHA1 hash with the SHA1 hash calculated and
stored when the file was placed in the repository on date xyz.

i.e.
new sha-1 calc
-(from taking the current file, and applying all applicable
-rdiffs, then recalculating the sha-1 hash)
vs.
the stored sha-1 calc when the xyz backup was done.

---

Is that correct?

Yes, it looks like that is correct, based on my reading of the source, and some quick experimentation.

Does that match with your experiments?

Andrew