[rdiff-backup-users] what exactly does "--verify-at-time xyz" do...

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] what exactly does "--verify-at-time xyz" do...
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:20:26 -0700

--verify-at-time xyz

Wondering about --verify-at-time xyz

What exactly does this switch do?

From my understanding of the man-page, it appears to "recreate" the
actual file based on the date used in xyz, and then compare a *new*
computation of the SHA1 hash with the SHA1 hash calculated and
stored when the file was placed in the repository on date xyz.

i.e.
new sha-1 calc
 -(from taking the current file, and applying all applicable
 -rdiffs, then recalculating the sha-1 hash)
vs.
the stored sha-1 calc when the xyz backup was done.

---

Is that correct?

If so, this would seem to be a pretty great way to verify the
integrity of the repository short of doing a full restore onto disk.

---
Or, have I been huffing glue again, and completely misunderstood the man-page?

TIA,
Greg