Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resuming failed backups

From: Marcel (Felix) Giannelia
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Resuming failed backups
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:40:25 -0700

I do pretty much the same thing as Greg, except that my connection between the server room (work) and the remote site (my place) is via encrypted sneakernet :)

(I move backups both ways -- my house off-sites to work, and work off-sites to my house, so there's quite a bit of data and I don't relish the traffic charges).

I use rdiff-backup on the server's local drives to provide quick restores for the usual "help; I deleted an important e-mail from yesterday and I emptied the trash!" requests from users, but I actually use dar for the external hard drive because [as per my earlier posting] it's currently faster to create separate incremental backups into compressed files than it is to roll up all the files related to one rdiff-backup increment.

~Felix.